Congratulations! We are delighted you are getting married and are interested in one of our two beautiful and historic churches here in the city. When we agree to marry a couple, we want to do all we can to ensure your marriage is long-lasting, filled with joy, delight and determination. To make an initial enquiry about being married in either church, please read these pages, and then submit an online enquiry form and we will get back to you and see if we can help you.
Thousands of couples have chosen to be married at St Philip’s Church (built 1856) because of its neo-gothic beauty, its proximity to some of Sydney’s best reception venues, the way we take care of couples, and the rich Christian marriage service we use.
The Garrison Church is one of the most popular wedding venues in Sydney. Built in 1840, it retains a beautiful rustic charm. Visit us today and you’ll get a sense of the unique opportunity The Garrison provides for a wedding near the city but at a venue that feels far removed from the hustle and bustle of the CBD.
What you need to know
If you’re interested in being married at either Church, these are the steps you need to take:
1. Read through the Frequently Asked Questions by clicking on the button below.
2. Fill out an online enquiry form to see if your proposed date and time is free. If so, your wedding will be ‘pencilled in’ to our calendar. Our wedding administrator will then get in touch with you.
3. We ask you to come along to one of our Sunday Services, either at St Philip’s Church (8:30am, 10:30am or 6:00pm) or The Garrison Church (4:00pm). Let our wedding administrator know beforehand which service you are planning to come to. When you come to church, please allow two hours when putting money in the parking meters, this will allow plenty of time for the minister to meet with you. At the conclusion of the service, introduce yourself to one of the ministers.
3. At that meeting you’ll be given the opportunity to fill in a booking form, confirming the details of your wedding day. You’ll also discuss the legal forms and documentation needed to be married in Australia.
4. If the minister and you agree to move forward, then pay the $200 deposit (non-refundable). Once you’ve paid the deposit and lodged your booking form your wedding is locked in.
5. After this, our wedding administrator will be in touch with you about joining a marriage preparation course. All couples do this, which is run over three Sunday afternoons at multiple times throughout the year.
Costs for the wedding
Payment by direct debit or credit card is preferred. Cash or cheque can be made only with prior arrangement. If you wish to make an online payment, here are our bank details. This account is for both churches.
Basic Fee: $1950 (including a $200 non-refundable deposit)
Sound Operator: $300 (Required if you are bringing a live band)
Bellringing (at St Philip’s Church only): $450 (8 bells rung by skilled bellringers)
Extra time (for an extended service, time for photos or serving refreshments): $200 per hour (plus Public Liability Insurance cover and other conditions if serving refreshments, please contact the Weddings Administrator for more details)